- What are some signs of stress due to drought?
- Some signs are browning and premature dropping or withering of leaves.
- What can I plant in my containers in the fall?
- Fall annuals would be the best such as mums, pansies, kale and ornamental grasses. Planting of small conifers & broadleaf evergreens will provide interest in containers all through winter.
- When should I plant spring bulbs?
- In October or November before the soil freezes. Water your bulbs after planting and top dress with mushroom compost.
- When is the best time to fertilze my garden?
- Fall is the best time to fertilze, after the killing frost when everything goes dormant. This is also the best time to cut back your perennials and take your annuals out of the containers. Ornamental grasses may be left until spring as they can provide winter inerest in their dormant state. In spring they should be cut down to allow for new growth
- When is the earliest date I can plant summer annuals in a container garden?
- May 1st